Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page

Somerset Historic Environment Record


Site Name: The Dower House (formerly listed as Lower Farm House and range of Barns at Lower Farm), Dowlish Wake village
Civil Parish: Dowlish Wake
Grid Ref: ST 3761 1277 (ST 31 SE)
  Show site on map (Requires Flash)

Public access:

The public accessibility of this site is unknown or has not been checked. Please ask locally and do not visit without permission. [Information last updated on 07 February 2005]


Detached house. Dated 1664. Ham stone cut and squared in diminishing depth of courses, ashlar dressings; thatched roof with stepped coped west gable and hipped on east return; brick chimney stacks. 'L'-plan; 2-storey, 4 bays. Hollow-chamfer mullioned windows in wave-mould recesses, the lower windows with labels; first floor windows of 4, 4, 4 and 3 lights, those to bays 3 and 4 being restorations; to ground floor a 5-light spanning bays 1/2, then a 4- and a 3-light: to lower bay 2 a C20 boarded door in plain opening; between the windows to upper bays 1/2 a datestone with billet-mould frame inscribed 'M/WC/1664'. West gable has a 3-light mullioned window with label to first floor, with a small extension to the north-west corner. A longer extension from the north-east corner has one 2-light window without label, and then joins onto two farm buildings. Inside, the roof frame has closed collar trusses with wattle and daub infill; two cambered fireplaces, the ground floor example mutilated, otherwise the interior considerably modified. The house was leased to female members of the Speke family during the later C18, hence the name. (VCH Somerset, Vol IV, 1978, p152; VAG Report, unpublished SRO, 1975). {1}

English Heritage Listed Building Number: 262165. First Listed on 04/02/1958. English Heritage Unified Designation System Asset Number: 1177399 {2}


1 Statutory List - Ninety-first List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic interest: District of South Somerset (Somerset) (30/11/1987) Location: HER collections.
2 Data transfer - Listed Buildings database, English Heritage. Record ID: 262165 (2005)

Record created in October 1986

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2016