Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page


Somerset Historic Environment Record

56420

Site Name: The Priory, or Parsonage Farmhouse (formerly listed as The Priory or Parsonage Farmhouse (Ruined portion)), North Street (West side), Stoke sub Hamdon
Civil Parish: Stoke sub Hamdon
LISTED BUILDING grade: I
Grid Ref: ST 4735 1742 (ST 41 NE)
  Show site on map (Requires Flash)
   
Image: Image of HER 56420 - Photo by Somerset County Council (01 October 1985)
  HER 56420 - Photo by Somerset County Council (01 October 1985)

Public access:

The public accessibility of this site is unknown or has not been checked. Please ask locally and do not visit without permission. [Information last updated on 25 January 2005]

Details:

(Chantry House on O.S. Map). Originally the College Buildings of the Beauchamp Chantry, now private house. C14 et seq. Ham stone roughly cut and squared, ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roofs over stone slate base courses, mostly with coped gables; stone slab chimney stacks. 'L'-plan. Mostly 2 storeys. East, roadside front, largely C17, of 4+4+1 bays. Southern section has lower roof, with a blank end gable to bay 1, then mostly ovolo- mould mullioned windows in wave-mould recesses, under separate labels; 2- light lower bay 2, 3-light lower bay 3 and upper bay 4, this latter being set into a coped gable; to upper bay 2 a 2-light chamfer-mullioned window without label: central unit taller, with mostly ovolo-mould mullioned windows in wave-mould recesses, most with hoods rather than labels; 4- light upper bay 1, 3-light upper bays 3 and 4, 2-light to upper bay 2 and lower bay 3, and single-light lower bay 4; to lower bay 1 a 3-light hollow-chamfered mullioned window in chamfered recess: roof set lower to final north bay, which has a 3-light ovolo-mould mullioned window above, without label, and a blocked window below: all windows have rectangular- leaded panes, with some iron-framed opening lights: other features this elevation include buttresses to left of bay 1 and right of bays 2 and 4, centre block; to lower bay 2 in this block an ovolo-moulded cambered-arched doorway in wave-mould rectangular recess, with incised spandrils, the opening now blocked with a small 3-light window: to end north gable a bell turret of unusual detail, with small side openings in the rectangular turret, and a cantilevered cover on the south side. North elevation probably c1444, prompted by Bishop Beakynton; 5 bays, of which bays 1 and 3 are projecting and gabled; bay 1 has 3-light ovolo-mould mullioned window below, complete with label, above a trefoil cusped light in rectangular recess, with an ogee recess in the gable, pointed arch doorway in return; lower bay 2 has a 2-light ovolo-mould window with label; thereafter the building is tall single-storey, with projecting porch with parvise over to bay 3, having angled corner buttresses, moulded pointed arched doorway and trefoil-cusped light in rectangular recess above; bay 4 has a 6-light hollow- chamfered mullioned window with label, 4-centre arched lights with incised spandrils, above a shallow 5-light window with ovolo-mould mullions, no label, the centre light being blocked; buttresses between bays 4/5 and then a 3-light ovolo mould window to lower bay 5; these last 3 bays have stone slate roofs, set slightly lower than main block. Inside, the north bay with bell- turret had the former chapel, and the west wing has a single- storeyed open hall, which is unplastered, with mostly an earth floor, and has arch-braced collar-truss roof trusses with double purlins and arched windbraces, a blocked cambered-arched fireplace in south wall, and a gallery over a through passage at the east end; on south-west corner an extension with ovolo-mould windows, doorway and fireplace, but with ogee-arched niche in east wall, which may represent the priest's parlour: at the east end traces of a jointed cruck truss remain. The remainder of the house not inspected, but reported are a surviving piscina in the upper chapel wing, some panelling with initials TS 1585 (for Thomas Strode, who converted some of the former service rooms into living room), and evidence that the three south bays represent part of the medieval priest's kitchen then detached from the main house. This surviving part of the college apparently the Provost's Lodging; before 1304 it may have been the rector's house: after 1548 it became a farm, which it remained until c1960. Major restorations carried out in 1967, and the house is now the property of the National Trust. Scheduled Ancient Monument, (Somerset County No 196). (VCH Vol III, 1974; leaflet published by National Trust, undated; Pantin, W.A. "Chantry Priest's Houses and other Medieval Lodgings, Medieval Archaeology 3, 1959 pp216-258; VAG Notes, Unpublished SRO, September 1972). {1}

English Heritage Listed Building Number: 441493. First Listed on 19/04/1961. English Heritage Unified Designation System Asset Number: 1260178 {2}

Since Pantin's description restoration has revealed more about the roof of the range that contains the hall. The three replaced trusses over the hall do not show cruck construction but the fourth, partly embedded in a partition, has a compound cruck on the south side with a scarfed joint at the elbow. There are traces of a further cruck over the solar that was replaced in the C17. {4}

References:

1 Statutory List - Eighty-sixth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic interest: District of South Somerset (Somerset) (27/10/1987) Location: HER collections.
2 Data transfer - Listed Buildings database, English Heritage. Record ID: 441493 (2005)
3 Detailed records - Pantin, WA. Chantry priests' houses and other medieval lodgings. Medieval Archaeology  3 (1959), 216-58. Copy available in SANHS library at Somerset Heritage Centre.. Available online.
4 Description - Hall, R de Z. A preliminary catalogue of cruck-roofed building in Somerset. Somerset Archaeology and Natural History  114 (1970), 48-73 (51-52). Copy available in SANHS library at Somerset Heritage Centre.

Record created in 0000

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2014