Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page


Somerset Historic Environment Record

56384

Site Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin, East Stoke (South side), Stoke sub Hamdon
Civil Parish: Stoke sub Hamdon
Part of:
PRN 54576Church of St Mary and churchyard, East Stoke
LISTED BUILDING grade: I
Grid Ref: ST 4839 1727 (ST 41 NE)
  Show site on map (Requires Flash)
   
Image: Image of HER 56384 - Photo by Somerset County Council (01 October 1985)
  HER 56384 - Photo by Somerset County Council (01 October 1985)

Public access:

The public accessibility of this site is unknown or has not been checked. Please ask locally and do not visit without permission. [Information last updated on 25 January 2005]

Details:

Anglican Parish Church. C12, C13 et seq; restored 1862 by Benjamin Ferrey, west vestries 1916 by C.E. Ponting. Ham stone, coursed rubble with dressings and ashlar; Welsh slate, stone slate base courses, coped east gable to chancel, elsewhere shallow pitch sheet lead roofs behind parapets. Cruciform plan: north porch and parvise, west vestries, tower over north transept, chancel 3 bays, nave 3 bays, transepts single-bay. Chancel c1100: low chamfered plinth, plain east wall, corner pilasters and bay buttresses to sides, eaves corbel table carried on grotesques, east window 4-light C15 subarcuated tracery in hollowed recess under square-stopped label; east bay south side paired simple lancets, centre bay has single wider lancet and also a semi-circular arched window with Celtic style archstone below a triangular- arched doorway with scratch dial on jamb; west bay has cusped lancet with later rectangular window under; north side has C13 traceried 2-light ciquefoil cusped window in east bay with matching single lights to other bays, the labels arched but cut short of springing. South transept: double plinth, eaves mould to plain parapet; cinquefoil cusped lancet to south gable, with label; to east and west walls 4 single trefoil-cusped lancets. Nave: corbelled battlemented parapet, end pilasters, south side a C15 4-light traceried window in hollowed recess with square stopped label, below a blocked C12 doorway with tympanum missing but one fishscaled and one barleysugar-twist side shaft remain with scalloped caps and impost blocks; to centre bay a cinquefoil cusped lancet with headstop label, and to left small C12 window with herringbone ornament to archstone, west window 5-light reticulated tracery under headstop label, north wall has cinquefoil cusped lancet and small C12 window with carving of St. George and dragon on archstone, below a C13 canopy with cross. North porch and parvise: pointed arched outer doorway with label, trefoil cusped statue niche in square recess over, inside quadripartite vault and C12 doorway having a panelled octagonal and a circular fishscale sideshaft with debased Ionic caps carrying tympanum carved with zodiac signs under roll mould, early ledged and boarded doors; above a 3-light reticulated tracery window without label, stairlight to right; on west wall a stone slate roofed projection for stairway, 2 cusped lancets, and 2 rectangular recesses. Tower: 3 stages, string courses, top with gargoyles, battlemented parapets, projection with rectangular windows to east, 3-light C15 traceried north window to lowest stage, slim rectangular window to west stage 2; top stage has pairs lancets with roll-mould jambs and double-arched labels stopped short of springing. Inside: chancel has C20 ceiling by McGregor, rere-arches to all but east window, the eastern side windows having side shafts and trefoil arches; C12 chancel arch with offsets and roll mouldings with billet, chevron and dogtooth ornament on nave side, plain main shafts, with slots for dividing partition, chevron and fishscale side shafts, all caps debased Ionic, probably recut; squints to both sides. North transept: quadripartite vault on carved corbels, reused C15 stone screen and C15 stone altar. South transept: C19 panelled ceiling, rere-arches to side windows with carved heads between, angled cinquefoil cusped piscina. Nave ceiling mostly C16 moulded rib and panel with leaf bosses; doorways to rood loft. Fittings: C17 altar table, Laudian altar rails, early C17 octagonal panelled pulpit, circular tub font with rings of cable ornament, C13 water stoup to jamb of south transept arch, pews with some early bench ends. Memorials: effigy in chancel north wall of Thomas Strode, died 1595; stone tablet in east wall to John Strode, died 1725; in south transept effigy of C14 Reginald de Moncketon. C19 painting in tympanum over north door, traces of wall paintings in various parts of nave at higher levels. East window has medieval stained glass in tracery, war memorial window by Bell below. (VCH Vol III, 1974; Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Leaflet in Church). {1}

English Heritage Listed Building Number: 440779. First Listed on 19/04/1961. English Heritage Unified Designation System Asset Number: 1260420 {2}

References:

1 Statutory List - Eighty-sixth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic interest: District of South Somerset (Somerset) (27/10/1987) Location: HER collections.
2 Data transfer - Listed Buildings database, English Heritage. Record ID: 440779 (2005)

Record created in 0000

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2014