Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page


Somerset Historic Environment Record

56020

Site Name: Church of St John, Tatworth
Civil Parish: Tatworth and Forton
LISTED BUILDING grade: II
Grid Ref: ST 3269 0579 (ST 30 NW)
  Show site on map (Requires Flash)
   
Image: Image of HER 56020 - Photo by Somerset County Council
  HER 56020 - Photo by Somerset County Council

Public access:

As far as we are aware this site is open to the public at certain times. [Information last updated on 10 December 2002]

Details:

Chapelry, now parish church. 1851, vestry extended with church rooms late C20 (not of special interest). Architect John Pinch of Bath, builder Davis of Langport. Early English style. Random rubble chert and local stone, stepped buttresses of chert stone to every bay, Ham stone dressings, plinth slate roofs, coped verges. Five bay aisless nave, chancel, organ bay opening into vestry with church rooms extension. Stone pyramid roofed octagonal drop finial, 5 lancet windows below; all other windows with hood- moulds and face terminals, south front one lancet left and 3 right of single storey gabled porch, pointed arch opening with double chamfer, squared and coursed stone walls with stone benches inset, pointed arch doorway, door with decorative hinge, chancel 2-light window south front, 3-light east window, vestry with 2-light window and chimney at junction with chancel, C20 building abutting, west front of vestry shouldered doorway approached by flight of 3 steps, 5 lancets on north front. Interior: rendered. Pointed, chamfered chancel arch with dwarf stone walls and arcade with marble columns facing nave. Ceiled and boarded barrel vault to chancel, arch braced king post roof carried on carved corbels in nave. West end gallery, carried on 2 painted wooden columns with brackets springing from entablature, double flight of stairs centre of west wall. Marble tesserae to sanctuary, Minton tiles in chancel. Reredos of carved wood designed and executed by Henry Stuart King, Vicar, 1901. Painted wooden Gothic style pulpit on stone base with marble columns approached by flight of stone steps. Octagonal font of Portland stone. Oil painting on canvas of The Man of Sorrows. Some stained glass east end dated 1905, south chancel window 1962. The ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1866. (Pevsner, N. Buldings of England, South and West Somerset,1958). {1}

English Heritage Listed Building Number: 430755. First Listed on 30/11/1987. English Heritage Unified Designation System Asset Number: 1248929 {3}

References:

1 Statutory List - Ninety-second List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic interest: District of South Somerset (Somerset) (30/11/1987) Location: HER collections.
2 Description - Pevsner, N. "Buildings of England: South and West Somerset" (1958)
3 Data transfer - Listed Buildings database, English Heritage. Record ID: 430755 (2005)

Record created in July 1997

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2014