Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page


Somerset Historic Environment Record

55483

Site Name: Brympton House, Brympton
Civil Parish: Brympton
Part of:
PRN 55166Brympton d'Evercy Park
Grid Ref: ST 5197 1542 (ST 51 NW)
  Show site on map (Requires Flash)
   
Image: Image of HER 55483 - south front. Photo by Somerset County Council (10 March 1980)
  HER 55483 - south front. Photo by Somerset County Council (10 March 1980)

Public access:

The public accessibility of this site is unknown. Please assume that this site is private property and do not visit without permission. [Information last updated on 16 December 2002]

Details:

Known as Brympton D'Evercy House the building has a late 15C core and was enlarged in the C16. The South front is late C17. {1}

Brympton House is now known as Clare School and is of outstanding architectural interest. {2}

Originally owned by the d'Evercy family, who constructed the Priest House (PRN 55484) and parts of the Parish Church (PRN 53632). At the beginning of the fifteenth century the estate was sold to the Sydenham family who built the majority of the present structure, cumulating in the south front. Clare School moved out of the House in the Brympton House 1970's and it is now once again a domestic dwelling {3}

See PRN 53637 for the deserted medieval village of Brympton surrounding the house. The surrounding gardens are listed grade II* on the Historic Parks and Gardens register (PRN 55166) {4}

References:

1 Detailed records - Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset.  (1958), 107-8. Copy held in HER collections
2 Detailed records - Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division record card. Record ID: ST 51 NW 17 (1967) Location: HER files.
3 Guide book - Clive-Ponsonby-Fane, C. Brympton D'Evercy.  (1980) guide book.
4 Verbal communication - Nicholas, M [Matthew]. Somerset County Council, Heritage Service (04/09/2003). Location: Verbal, electronic or direct entry, no source retained

Record created in February 1997

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2014