Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page


Somerset Historic Environment Record

54834

Site Name: Hanging chapel, Langport
SCHEDULED MONUMENT: The Hanging Chapel and a medieval gateway at The Hill [No:33713]
Civil Parish: Langport
Grid Ref: ST 4233 2674 (ST 42 NW)
  Show site on map (Requires Flash)
   
Image: Image of HER 54834 - Damge by lorry. Photo by Somerset County Council (23 June 1998)
  HER 54834 - Damge by lorry. Photo by Somerset County Council (23 June 1998)

Public access:

The public accessibility of this site is unknown or has not been checked. Please ask locally and do not visit without permission. [Information last updated on 21 May 2003]

Details:

The Hanging Chapel appears to date from the C14, and was the chapel of the tradesmen's guild of Langport who also formed the Corporation. It became the Town Hall in 1570, a Grammar school in the C18 and leased to the Freemasons in the C20. Is of rubble with a tiled roof and placed over the arch of a C15 gatehouse through which the road passes. {1}

Excavation immediately to the N (PRN 55459) showed that the construction of the gate had removed part of the Saxon defences (PRN 54134) and that the gate had been underpinned on at least two occasions, both probably C19. {4}

The building was hit by a lorry on 22/6/1998 and long scars 10-15mm deep cut into the arch. No structural damage appeared to have occurred. {5}

Scheduling affirmed with new national number on 7/6/2000 (was Somerset 273). {7}

References:

1 Detailed records - Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division record card. Record ID: ST 42 NW 19 (1966) Location: HER files.
2 Mention - Anon. Hanging Chapel. Somerset Archaeology and Natural History  71 (1925), xxiv-xxv Copy available in SANHS library at Somerset Heritage Centre.
3 Mention - Western Gazette  (19/11/1954)
4 Excavation report - Graham, A. Archaeological Excavations on the site of the Engine House to the North of the Hanging Chapel, Langport, Somerset.  Unpublished Alan Graham report (1996) Location: HER files under PRN 55459.
5 Detailed records - Graham, A [Alan]. English Heritage Field Monument Warden (24/7/1998) with photos. Location: HER files.
6 Photographs - Graham, A. (1989-9) 3 colour prints. Location: HER files.
7 Correspondence - English Heritage to Somerset County Council (3/7/2000)

Record created in May 1986

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2014