Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page


Somerset Historic Environment Record

53238

Site Name: Hillfort, Bounds Lane, Wambrook
SCHEDULED MONUMENT: Hillfort 550yds (501m) SE of Four Gates [No:426]
Civil Parish: Wambrook
Comprises:
PRN 28665Geophysical survey (2009), Cotley Hillfort, Wambrook
Grid Ref: ST 3109 0745 (ST 30 NW)
  Show site on map (Requires Flash)
   
Image: Image of HER 53238 - Photo by Somerset County Council (13 February 1984)
  HER 53238 - Photo by Somerset County Council (13 February 1984)

Public access:

The public accessibility of this site is unknown or has not been checked. Please ask locally and do not visit without permission. [Information last updated on 21 May 2003]

Details:

Centred at ST31090745 and consists of an oval enclosure formed by a bank and outer ditch. It is evident that both were originally of considerable strength. The situation, just below the highest point of a plateau, is not suited to defence but has a good view. Entrance not seen but it may have been in the S part which has been eroded almost completely by ploughing. The N and W quadrants are similarly being ploughed out leaving only the E section which is used as field boundary. Iron slag and pieces of iron found in the field were identified as waste from the iron works at Chard. It is supplied free to farmers for road surfacing, drainage etc. {1}

Scheduled in 1997. {2}

Defences form an oval c200m x 150m. S bank appears as a much spread bank c30cm high. On the W and NW the bank is c50 - 75cm high with possible entrance. On E it is 2m high. Small amount of IA pottery found. {3}

Only the E section visible because of crops. The bank under the crop would appear to have been reduced by ploughing since 1983. {7}

Careful examination of RAF 1946 photo in Devon County Council suggests that the entrance may have been on the N. {8}

The iron slag in the field now does not look modern and was certainly not cupola slag. In view of knowledge of the Blackdown iron industry it is likley that this is contemporary with the hillfort. {9}

A sherd of C2/3 New Forest Roman pottery was found at ST31100738. {10}

The monument is regularly ploughed and has been for many years. Nothing is visible in the eastern and southern fields. {11}

References:

1 Detailed records - Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division record card. Record ID: ST 30 NW 14 (1978) Location: HER files. HER digital source: 1550.
2 Correspondence - Department of the Environment to Somerset County Council. (9/2/1997) with map. Location: HER files. HER digital source: 36837.
3 Mention - Burrow, I. Hillfort and Hilltop Settlement in the First to Eighth Centuries AD.  (1981), 230. British Archaeological Reports 91.
4 Description - Anon. Bounds Lane Hill Fort.  (not dated) Text and plan for visit handout?. Location: HER files. HER digital source: 36838.
5 Aerial photographs - 5.108.3-4. Location: Historic Environment Service slide collection at Somerset Heritage Centre.
6 Aerial photographs - DAP VP19-21. (1992) Location: HER digital information, prints in archive at Somerset Heritage Centre.
7 Site visit report - Blackdown Hills AONB survey record card. (3/9/1992) Location: HER files. HER digital source: 20570.
8 Correspondence - Silvester, R, University of Exeter to Carter, R. (c.1980) with plan. Location: HER files. HER digital source: 13852.
9 Verbal communication - Carter, R (Roger). Chard History Group (1998). Location: Verbal, electronic or direct entry, no source retained
10 Mention - Wood, PJ and Carter, RW. A History of the Parish of Chardstock.  (1999)
11 Site visit report - Graham, A (Alan). English Heritage Field Monument Warden (12/7/1999) Location: HER file. HER digital source: 21609.

Record created in July 1984

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2014