Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page


Somerset Historic Environment Record

53117

Site Name: St John the Baptist church, Sock Dennis Farm, Sock Dennis
Civil Parish: Ilchester
Part of:
PRN 53044Deserted medieval village, Sock Dennis Farm, Sock Dennis
Grid Ref: ST 5150 2128 (ST 52 SW)
  Show site on map (Requires Flash)
   

Public access:

The public accessibility of this site is unknown or has not been checked. Please ask locally and do not visit without permission. [Information last updated on 21 May 2003]

Details:

There was a church at Sock in 1286. In origin it was evidently a daughter church of Yeovil, and a pension was still paid by the rector of Sock to the rector of Yeovil in 1428. In 1297 the church was worth £7 15s. Assessed at £7 6s 8d in 1428. The church had disappeared by 1575. There had formerly been lights, supported by vents, before the altar of one Virgin. A doorway, probably of the early C16 and perhaps forming part of the fabric of the church, is incorporated in one of the buildings of Sock Dennis farm (PRN 53077). {1}

References:

1 Description - Dunning, RW (ed). Victoria History of the County of Somerset.  Vol. 3 (1974), 234-5.
2 Detailed records - Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division record card. Record ID: ST 52 SW 17 (1978) Location: HER files under PRN 53044.

Record created in February 1985

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2014