Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page


Somerset Historic Environment Record

53016

Site Name: Dominican friary, West Street, Ilchester
Civil Parish: Ilchester
Part of:
PRN 53116Roman and medieval town, Ilchester
Comprises:
PRN 16331Evaluation (2003), 11 West Street, Ilchester
PRN 18477Watching Brief (2004), 1, West Street, Ilchester
PRN 24640Watching Brief (2006), 21 High Street, Ilchester
PRN 32315Watching brief (2013), 11 West Street, Ilchester
PRN 32323Watching brief (2013), 2 West Street, Ilchester
Grid Ref: ST 5204 2256 (ST 52 SW) ST 5210 2259 (ST 52 SW)
  Show site on map (Requires Flash)
   

Public access:

The public accessibility of this site is unknown or has not been checked. Please ask locally and do not visit without permission. [Information last updated on 21 May 2003]

Details:

Founded between 1221-1260 with a grant of land near the west gate. {1}

Restored 1271 and enlarged in 1285 and 1349 to a 1.6ha site. Finally demolished early C19. {2}

By C15 it extended beyond the town walls to Pill Bridge Lane with a road behind. {3}

Position shown in deeds of 1424 and 1477. East gate located at ST52102259. Dissolved in 1538 but buildings continued in use as a silk mill and relief prison. {4}

See PRNs 53091 and 18477 for details of inhumations. {8}

References:

1 Detailed records - Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division 1966 ST52SW56 (SCC Planning Department)
2 Detailed records - IHM Stevens-Cox, J 1947 "The Dominican Priory" no 2, 17-36
3 Mention - Aston, M and Leech, R 1977 "Historic Towns of Somerset", 71
4 Mention - Knowles, D and Hadcock, R.N 1953 "Medieval Religious Houses...", 185
5 Mention - Collinson, J 1791 "History of Somerset"
6 Mention - Victoria County History of Somerset 1911 vol 2, 150-51
7 Mention - Victoria County History of Somerset 1974 vol 3, 187 and 197-200
8 Verbal communication - Talya Bagwell, Somerset Historic Environment Record (24/8/2005)

Record created in October 1983

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2014