Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page


Somerset Historic Environment Record

53010

Site Name: Chapel, Whitehall hospital and nunnery, High Street, Ilchester
Civil Parish: Ilchester
Part of:
PRN 53116Roman and medieval town, Ilchester
Grid Ref: ST 52100 22900 (ST 52 SW)
  Show site on map (Requires Flash)
   

Public access:

The public accessibility of this site is unknown or has not been checked. Please ask locally and do not visit without permission. [Information last updated on 21 May 2003]

Details:

Presumably soon after Whitehall hospital (PRN 53018) acquired the patronage of St Mary the less in 1242 (PRN 53014), a chapel was built on the premises. From about 1281 the character of the hospital foundation changed, becoming a nunnery (PRN 53046) and the chapel therefore became the focal point of the community. At some date between 1436 and 1463 the community ceased to exist, and the foundation became a free chapel, at first in Crown patronage. In 1519 a chaplain or rector was appointed by a group of feoffees headed by the bishops of London and Salisbury, at the request of Henry Stafford, the earl of Salisbury. The chapel was dedicated to the the Holy Trinity, the dedication of the original foundation, and had more than one altar. In 1415 land was given to maintain a chantry at the high altar. In 1546 goods of the chapel delivered to George Carew the incumbent included a bell, vestments, candlesticks, coffer etc, worth 16s 8d. The goods had gone two years later when the incumbent was pensioned and the buildings, already let to Thomas Duporte from 1545, came to the Crown. It is not clear when the chapel was secularized, but its sale by the Crown in 1600 indicates the completion of this process. {1}

References:

1 Description - Victoria County History of Somerset 1974 vol 3, 198

Record created in February 1985

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2014