Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page


Somerset Historic Environment Record

52616

Site Name: Former rope walk, about 65 metres south-east of main building, Parrett Iron Works, Carey's Mill
Civil Parish: Martock
Part of:
PRN 54224Carey's Mill and Parrett Iron Works, Carey's mill, Martock
LISTED BUILDING grade: II
Grid Ref: ST 4467 1858 (ST 41 NW)
  Show site on map (Requires Flash)
   
Image: Image of HER 52616 - Photo by Somerset County Council (June 1985)
  HER 52616 - Photo by Somerset County Council (June 1985)

Public access:

The public accessibility of this site is unknown or has not been checked. Please ask locally and do not visit without permission. [Information last updated on 21 May 2003]

Details:

Rope walk, now byre. C19. Ham stone rubble; double Roman clay tiled roof. 20 bays, with timber posts and braced beams along north-west side; queen- post roof trusses; windows in south east wall, one per bay, some with cast iron grilles, now all blocked. Part of the massive engineering works on the site, founded c1855, and the second of two rope walks here. (Buchanan, CA and RA, Guide to Industrial Archaeology of Central and Southern England, Batsford, 1980). {1}

English Heritage Listed Building Number: 422262. First Listed on 28/04/1987. English Heritage Unified Designation System Asset Number: 1225754 {2}

References:

1 Statutory List - Eighty-first List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic interest: District of South Somerset (Somerset) (28/4/1987) Location: HER collections.
2 Data transfer - Listed Buildings database, English Heritage. Record ID: 422262 (2005)

Record created in April 1987

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2014