Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page


Somerset Historic Environment Record

51513

Site Name: The Abbey, Top road (South side), Charlton Adam
Civil Parish: Charlton Mackrell
LISTED BUILDING grade: I
Grid Ref: ST 5355 2868 (ST 52 NW)
  Show site on map (Requires Flash)
   
Image: Image of HER 51513 - Photo by Somerset County Council (21 June 1984)
  HER 51513 - Photo by Somerset County Council (21 June 1984)

Public access:

The public accessibility of this site is unknown or has not been checked. Please ask locally and do not visit without permission. [Information last updated on 27 January 2005]

Details:

House on site of Chantry Chapel. Late C16 with earlier fragments, restored 1902. Local lias stone roughly squared and coursed, Ham stone dressings; plain clay tile roofs, some between stepped coped gables, some hipped; stone chimney stacks, some octagonal ashlar, some stone rubble. Triple-roof plan with earlier crossing at west end. Mostly 2 storeys with attic; west end 3 storeys. West entrance elevation 4 bays, of which bays 1 and 2 are of 3 storeys; bays 3 and 4 set back, with small C20 porch with gabled roof and small chimney stack bay 3: bays 1 and 2 the earliest part of house; double corner buttresses with offsets, central ground floor 2-light C16 window having double wave mould and unusual panelled mullion, set under damaged label; above two 2-light hollow chamfer mullioned windows in wave mould recesses with square heads and labels; above central 3-light ovolo mould mullioned window with label; all windows with rectangular panes and some metal casements; pointed relieving arch offcentre bay 2 first floor window, and another over bay 4 ground floor window, a single hollow chamfer in wave mould-light, with label: bays 3 and 4 otherwise blank. South elevation has gable to porch, featuring stepped external chimney stack and sundial, set back; then 2 wide bays with full-height end and centre buttresses; hollow chamfer mullioned windows in wave-mould recesses with labels; 4-light to lower-bay 1, 3-light to both levels bays 2: upper-bay 1 has wider cruciform mullioned and transomed 2-light window. East elevation has triple gables set in receding planes, with lean-to against northernmost; south gable has 2-light mullioned windows to ground floor and attic, above is a square stone with circular carved pattern; central gable has cruciform window below and 3 and 2-light windows above, and 2-light to attic of north gable, which has gabletted finial, under which is a plain stone plaque with hood. north elevation to match, and extending northwards an early C20 extension which may include some re-used windows. Inside, the west room has beamed ceiling, and staircase with early C17 fragments, with semi-circular lozenge-decorated arch on landing; the drawing room (the Oak room) has beam and joist ceiling and c1600 wall panelling with top frieze and cornice mould; fine oak overmantel to fireplace, which has moulded cambered arch-similar smaller fireplaces elsewhere in house. Bedroom above originally full width of house; retains corner cupboard and window reveal-panels probably early C17. The north rooms gutted by fire in 1960's, restored plain. Noth east stairs to attic have a pointed arch with timber door, possibly C15 reused; two attic rooms have barrel vaulted ceiling, and a 2-panel door. In the north wall the label to a 2-light window, and an arched doorway which could be C13/C14. 1902 restoration thought to be by C.E Ponting, who also restored Lytes Cary (qv). The site of the Chantry Chapel of the Holy Spirit, founded 1237, and believed to incorporate fragments therof, its remodelling appears to be of late C16 date. (Nares, G: Country Life, Vol CV11, Jan 13th 1950; Victoria County History, Volume III, 1974). {1}

English Heritage Listed Building Number: 262848. First Listed on 17/04/1959. English Heritage Unified Designation System Asset Number: 1056727 {2}

'The Abbey', E of the church. Alate Elizabethan house probably incorporating earlier masonry. 'The Abbey'. Probably 15th century origin. Refashioned in 16th century. Good internal features. (The name 'Abbey' probably derives from one time possession of the manor of Charlton Adam by Bruton Priory -Collinson 3 1791 191). 'The Abbey' or 'Abbey Farm' was the capital messuage of the Rectory Estate in Charlton Adam, which was held Bruton Priory, later Abbey, from the 12th century until dissolution (Detailed descent and architectural description). {3}

References:

1 Statutory List - Sixty-sixth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic interest: District of South Somerset (Somerset) (30/9/1985) Location: HER collections.
2 Data transfer - Listed Buildings database, English Heritage. Record ID: 262848 (2005)
3 Detailed records - OSAD (1979) ST52NW23 SCPD

Record created in September 1984

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2014