Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page


Somerset Historic Environment Record

43372

Site Name: Sandhill Park, Ash Priors
Civil Parish: Ash Priors, Bishop's Lydeard
Comprises:
PRN 15354Pond, Sandhill Park, Bishop's Lydeard
PRN 15361Second World War military hospital, Sandhill Park
PRN 15362Prisoner of War camp, Sandhill Park
PRN 15363Mental Hospital, Sandhill Park
PRN 15364Sewage works, Sandhill Park
Grid Ref: ST 156 296 (ST 12 NE)
  Show site on map (Requires Flash)
   
Image: Image of HER 43372 - Photo by Somerset County Council (26 June 1995)
  HER 43372 - Photo by Somerset County Council (26 June 1995)

Public access:

The public accessibility of this site is unknown or has not been checked. Please ask locally and do not visit without permission. [Information last updated on 21 May 2003]

Details:

Area of landscaped park making up Sandhill Park shown on OS 6" map. {1}

The first house (called Hill House) was built in 1720 but was substantially (if not completely) rebuilt in the C19. {2}

The house was built in 1720 by John Periam who called it Hill House. In 1767 in came into the posession of his grandson John Lethbridge, his grandson, knighted in 1804, who enlarged the house and renamed it Sandhill Park. His son (d 1849) incurred great debts and although the family still occupied the house, the estate was let in 1902 and sold in 1913. The estate covered 3984 acres.

In 1919 [probably 1929] Somerset County Council bought the house, some cottages and 150 acres of the grounds for use as a children's hospital - see PRN 15363. {3}

References:

1 Map - Ordnance Survey 1:10,560 Second Edition County Series (Somerset) map Sheet: 60SW (1905)
2 Description - Hinton, DJ An illustrated social history of Bishop's Lydeard and Cothelstone (1999), 30-42.
3 Description - Clarke, F The story of Bishops Lydeard 1291-1991. (1991)

Record created in December 1988

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2014