Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page


Somerset Historic Environment Record

41016

Site Name: Church of St Andrew and St Mary, Pitminster Village
Civil Parish: Pitminster
Part of:
PRN 43488Church of St Andrew and St Mary and churchyard, Pitminster
LISTED BUILDING grade: I
Grid Ref: ST 2206 1911 (ST 21 NW)
  Show site on map (Requires Flash)
   
Image: Image of HER 41016 - Photo by Somerset County Council (22 April 1985)
  HER 41016 - Photo by Somerset County Council (22 April 1985)

Public access:

As far as we are aware this site is open to the public at certain times. [Information last updated on 10 December 2002]

Details:

Parish church. Circa 1300, enlarged C15, restored, north aisle, south porch and north-west chapel rebuilt, clearstorey windows replaced and chancel arch rebuilt 1869 by Sir George Gilbert Scott, 1937 chancel restored by W D Caroe, 1979 lady chapel restored. Random rubble local stone, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges, lead roofs to spire and south porch. West tower with spire, south-west vestry and north-west chapel, 3-bay aisled nave with clearstorey, north-east lady chapel, south east chapel now organ bay, chancel. Two-stage square tower, broached to octagon with quatrefoil parapet and 2-light bell-opening, spire, 3-light west window, 2-light to vestry, setback buttresses, diagonally buttressed south aisle, gabled C19 single storey porch, diagonally buttressed, moulded arched opening, moulded inner doorway, C19 door with decorative hinges, two 3-light windows right flanking stepped buttress, rood stair turret, C19 octagonal upper stage with pierced parapet, 3-light windows to organ bay, good blue lias tablet on east wall to ----- died 1720, incised decoration and angel heads, south wall of chancel projection for tomb lit by 2-light C20 window above, diagonally buttressed chancel, 4-light east window, similar projection but with buttress on north wall of chancel, 3-light east window to slightly projecting diagonally buttressed lady chapel, pierced quatrefoil parapet with shields, none to aisle parapet, ogee headed priests door in north-east corner, two 3-light windows left of 2-storey porch with pierced quatrefoil parapet above chamfered, 4-centre arched doorway to parvise (not seen), gable over chamfered arched entrance, chamfered arched inner doorway with engaged colonettes, C19 door, stair turret on right return, 2-light west window to chapel. Interior: rendered. Three bay arcade of clustered colonettes with pointed arches chamfered in 2 orders, local grey sandstone to arches of original south arcade; pointed tower arch chamfered in 2 orders, late C19 4-centred arches to west chapel and vestry, C19 arch to lady chapel from north aisle, Perpendicular arches with angle capitals between lady chapel and chancel, similar with twisted leaf decoration to capitals between organ bay and chancel, and organ bay and south aisle. Roofs: chancel, renewed ceiled ribbed barrel vault with bosses and wall plate, similar but restored roof to nave with C19 quatrefoil clearstorey windows, C19 monopitch ceiling to north aisle, C19 cambered compartment ceiling to south aisle, C15 compartment ceiling to tower. Moulded arched doorway to roodstair in south aisle. Lady chapel with trefoil headed piscina and part of stone support with trefoil headed panelling in south-east corner, mutilated stone in north east corner, presumably part of crocketed statue niche. In chancel 2 fine recumbent effigy tombs: left John Coles died 1607 and his wife Ann, daughter of Sir John Thynne of Longleat, painted in 1937, with alabaster children kneeling below; right John Coles died 1627 and his wife Elizabeth Wyndham died 1634, with 4 daughters kneeling below. Recumbant effigy of Humphrey Coles, died 1570 has been resited from chancel in the the north-west chapel. Humphrey Coles purchased the lands of Taunton Priory at the Dissolution and built a large mansion, part of which survives at Barton Grange (qv). Collection of mainly early C19 tablets, particularly to members of the Vibart family of Amberd House. Two hatchments, that of William Hawker, died 1806, and his daughter Ann, died 1834. A few early C16 bench ends, majority C19. Very handsome early C17 pulpit with sounding board from the Bluecoat school in Frome, probably by London craftsmen. Linenfold panelling by organ. Octagonal Perpendicular font, quatrefoil decorated panels, 2 carved with depictions of St George and St James of Compostela, later panel depicting Christ. Good brass lectern in memory of William Amasa Copp died 1901. Altar table and sanctuary fittings by W D Caroe. Remains of medieval stained glass in upper lights of lady chapel north window; collection of late C19-mid C20 glass including lady chapel east window 1894 and west window 1904, both by Kempe, east window 1881. A fine collection of fittings. (Photograph in NMR; Peden, St Mary and St Andrew Pitminster, 1983). {1}

English Heritage Listed Building Number: 271062. First Listed on 25/02/1955. English Heritage Unified Designation System Asset Number: 1344587 {3}

References:

1 Statutory List - Fifty-first List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic interest: Borough of Taunton Deane (Somerset) (7/4/1986) Location: HER collections.
2 Description - Peden, Pitminster St Mary and St Andrew, 1983
3 Data transfer - Listed Buildings database, English Heritage. Record ID: 271062 (2005)

Record created in July 1997

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2014