Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page


Somerset Historic Environment Record

34098

Site Name: Lilstock harbour, N of Lilstock, Stringston
Civil Parish: Stringston
Grid Ref: ST 17300 45400 (ST 14 NE)
  Show site on map (Requires Flash)
   
Image: Image of HER 34098 - Photo by Somerset County Council (07 May 2007)
  HER 34098 - Photo by Somerset County Council (07 May 2007)

Public access:

The public accessibility of this site is unknown but it should be visible from a public right of way. Please assume that the site is private property. (Beware of natural hazards). [Information last updated on 23 December 2002]

Details:

"Lilstock harbour", "pier", and "breakwater" printed on 1962 map. {1}

About 1820 Sir John Acland built a boat house on the beach near the stream and cross- channel trade built up. Coal was brought from Wales for domestic use on the Acland estate and to fire the large limekiln on the cliff (PRN 34099). Pit props were the main export along with lime. A harbour was built around the stream where it ran almost parallel to the beach. By 1848 there were resident coastguards, and by 1855 a customs officer. About 1860 a stone pier was built from the N side of the harbour wall, with a wooden awning and a butlers pantry at the end. By 1866 warehouses were standing beneath the cliff beside the southern harbour wall. A plan for a ship canal from Seaton (Devon) to terminate at Lilstock was considered by the Board of Admiralty in 1888. The harbour was apparently abandoned and the pier subsequently destroyed after the first world war. {2}

Corn barn also nearby as well as foundations of an inn for visitors. This was the "Limpet Shell" whiich was in business until the early C20. Pier now gone, pebble ridge built to scour the pool using stream water. Turfed prominade to the W for shallow draught ships. 1907 postcard shows harbour clear - now silted. {3}

A series of wooden posts may represent the remains of the original boat house. {5}

References:

1 Map - Ordnance Survey 1:10,560 National Grid Series map. Sheet: ST14NE. (1962).
2 Description - Dunning, RW (ed). Victoria History of the County of Somerset.  Vol. 5 (1985), 103.
3 Description - Farr, G. Somerset Harbours, including the Port of Bristol.  (1954), 120.
4 Mention - Somerset County Herald.  (25/8/1956)
5 Survey report - Busby, C. To what extent can an archaeological survey of the remains at Lilstock Harbour in Somerset, tell us about economic activity that took place there?.  (2001) Unpublished A-Level coursework. Location: HER files
6 Correspondence - Knowles, A (Aubrey), Bridgwater Archaeological Society to Somerset County Council Historic Environment Record. (12/12/2008) with digital photos and list. Location: HER files.
7 Mention - Warren, D. Somerset's Industrial Heritage: A Guide and Gazetteer.  (1996), 60. Somerset Industrial Archaeology Society survey no 8.
8 Description - Warren, D. Lilstock Harbour. Somerset Industrial Archaeological Society Bulletin.  52 (December 1989), 1-2
9 Photographs - (not dated) 9 contact prints. Location: HER files. HER digital source: 24133.
10 Mention - Croft, B. Lilstock parish. In Webster, CJ. Somerset Archaeology 2011. Somerset Archaeology and Natural History  155 (2011), 231-258 at 234.

Record created in May 1984

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2014