Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page


Somerset Historic Environment Record

34023

Site Name: Curdon Wood Camp, Stogumber
SCHEDULED MONUMENT: Curdon Wood camp [No:346]
Civil Parish: Stogumber
Grid Ref: ST 1022 3851 (ST 13 NW)
  Show site on map (Requires Flash)
   

Public access:

The public accessibility of this site is unknown or has not been checked. Please ask locally and do not visit without permission. [Information last updated on 21 May 2003]

Details:

Remains of a bank 8ft high and an almost completely silted-up ditch run round the W and SW sides, but quarrying has destroyed the banks on the NW and S and further down to the E. {1}

The destruction of this earthwork has been rendered almost complete by the bulldozing of the rampart on the S in the spring of 1964. The rest has been completely quarried away. The line of the rampart can still be traced on the S but the remains are so meagre that the plan and type of the earthwork cannot be deduced. Its situation on the side of the hill suggests that it may been on IA hill-slope enclosure, similar to Trendle Ring (PRN 33201), rather than a hillfort. {2}

The banks now only survive on the W and S sides consisting of a bank about 2.5m high. {3}

There are two quarries on the S edge of the site. {4}

References:

1 Description - Page, W. Victoria History of the County of Somerset.  Vol. 1 (1906), 479-80.
2 Detailed records - Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division record card. Record ID: ST 13 NW 1 (1965) Location: HER file.
3 Mention - Burrow, I. Hillfort and Hilltop Settlement in the First to Eighth Centuries AD.  (1981), 266-67. British Archaeological Reports 91.
4 Detailed records - Various. Department of the Environment and English Heritage (1980s) Location: HER collections.
5 Mention - Page, JLW. An Exploration of Exmoor.  (1890), 260.
6 Mention - Burrow, EJ. Ancient Earthworks and Camps of Somerset.  (1924), 64.
7 Sketch plan - Page, W. Victoria History of the County of Somerset.  Vol. 1 (1906), 479-80.

Record created in May 1984

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2014