Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page


Somerset Historic Environment Record

33538

Site Name: Record transferred to Exmoor National Park
SCHEDULED MONUMENT: Mounsey Castle and associated outwork 100m to the north [No:35975]
Comprises:
PRN 33539Record transferred to Exmoor National Park
Grid Ref:
  Show location (Requires Flash)
   

Public access:

The public accessibility of this site is unknown. Please assume that this site is private property and do not visit without permission. [Information last updated on 21 May 2003]

Details:

This site, formerly Mounsey Castle, Mounsey Wood, Dulverton has been transferred to the Exmoor National Park HER. The details below are those that were transferred and have not been updated. {1}

Irregular triangular earthwork with a curved base running almost due E-W with the apex pointing NE. Entrances at the W end of the NE bank and at the SW corner. The enclosure is about 170 yards across the base of the triangle and 200 yards from the base to the apex. {2}

Promontory fort at the S end of a steep-sided ridge. Defence evidently consisted of a coursed stone wall supplemented by the natural slope. Along the S side intermittent sections of walling survive up to 0.5m high and 4m thick. Elsewhere there is a low bank on which there is tumbled stone. Quarry ditch visible within most of the perimeter. There are two entrance gaps - the W is original and may have been approached from the SE by a banked way. NE gap may have been caused by a modern terraced track from the valley. {3}

Interior slopes gradually N-S but features are obscured by trees and forestry disturbance. Defences are univallate on SE and E sides, single ditch and counterscarp on the S. On the W the rampart runs along the top of the valley, the E side of which is a cliff, interpreted by VCH as part of the rampart. Drystone wall 3m thick on S. Inturn-outturn entrances at SW and N corners. {4}

Banks of earth and boulders disturbed by trees, up to 1.75m high. {5}

A roughly triangular area of c1.28ha enclosed by impressive defences to a height of 1.5-2m, a scarp to the W and a rampart to the S. There is a quarry scoop on the W and S and the remains of a ditch close to the SW entrance. There are two entrances one to the SW and one to the NE. The SW entrance is flanked by inturned ramparts with a ditch and berm to the S. Approx 14m of walling is visible in the outher face of the rampart immediately to the S of the passageway. The NE entrance has an inturned rampart with a berm and a short length of bank to the SE. The main feature of the interior is a large quarry scarp, rock-cut near the NE entrance. Other features are difficult to see because of undergrowth. {9}

Scheduling revised (to include outwork, PRN 35955) with new national number (was Somerset 373) on 3/9/2004. {11}

References:

1 Compiler comment - Webster, CJ [Chris]. Somerset County Council, Historic Environment Record (4/1/2010). Location: Verbal, electronic or direct entry, no source retained
2 Description - Victoria County History of Somerset 1911 vol 2, 492-3
3 Detailed records - Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division 1965 SS82NE2 (SCC Planning Department)
4 Description - Burrow, I. Hillfort and Hilltop Settlement in the First to Eighth Centuries AD British Archaeological Reports 91 (1981), 240-241
5 Detailed records - HBMC Field Monument Wardens report (SCC Planning Department)
6 Mention - Page, J.L.W 1890 "An Exploration of Exmoor", 85-86
7 Mention - Burrow, E.J 1924 "Earthworks and Camps of Somerset", 88
8 Sketch plan - Victoria County History of Somerset 1911 vol 2, 492-3
9 Detailed records - Riley, H "Mounsey Castle and Brewer's Castle: two iron age enclosures in the Barle Valley, Somerset" unpublished RCHME report (1999) in HER files [PRN 90138]
10 Measured plan - 1:1000 scale in Riley, H "Mounsey Castle and Brewer's Castle: two iron age enclosures in the Barle Valley, Somerset" unpublished RCHME report (1999) in HER files [PRN 90138]
11 Correspondence - English Heritage to Somerset County Council (21/9/2004)

Record created in January 1984

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2014