Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page


Somerset Historic Environment Record

33467

Site Name: Clatworthy Camp, Clatworthy
SCHEDULED MONUMENT: Clatworthy Hillfort [No:435]
Civil Parish: Clatworthy
Grid Ref: ST 046 315 (ST 03 SW)
  Show site on map (Requires Flash)
   
Image: Image of HER 33467 - Photo by Somerset County Council (29 March 1977)
  HER 33467 - Photo by Somerset County Council (29 March 1977)

Public access:

The public accessibility of this site is unknown but it should be visible from a public right of way. Please assume that the site is private property. (On the route of a nature trail running through land belonging to Wessex Water.). [Information last updated on 16 December 2002]

Details:

Roughly triangular enclosure with rounded apex at the W end, occupying the end of a long ridge which falls steeply on the N and W sides. Main defence is a bank of earth and stones with a ditch below, except on the S where the defence is a sharp ditch. The original entrance is on the SW and there is another at the SE corner where the bank has been altered by agricultural operations. {1}

Univallate hillfort with the main entrance on the SE (not SW as above). It is inturned but mutilated by agricultural work. Another gap to the W may also be original. {2}

Earthworks are much damaged by badgers on the E and by agriculture on the S. Ditch is steep sided and cut into the solid rock and there is a marked quarry scoop to the rear of the bank on the W and N sides. Examination of the body of the rampart in a badger scrape revealed a stratum of iron panning 1.5m below the crest. Above this the bank material was compact shale. Simple entrance gap at the W apex and another in the centre of the E side - this may be recent as it is not mentioned in published accounts, although it appears to predate a hedge bank on the outer lip of the ditch. {3}

N, W and SW sides have a rampart 10 yards wide, 6ft high (from the inside) and 18ft high from the base of the ditch. The ditch is 4ft deep and 10ft wide. Much is thickly overgrown. {4}

"Settlement" printed on OS 1:10,000 map. {9}

References:

1 Description - Victoria County History of Somerset 1911 vol 2, 489-90
2 Detailed records - Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division 1965 ST03SW4 (SCC Planning Department)
3 Description - Burrow, I. Hillfort and Hilltop Settlement in the First to Eighth Centuries AD British Archaeological Reports 91 (1981), 212-213
4 Detailed records - HBMC Field Monument Wardens report (SCC Planning Department)
5 Mention - Allcroft, A.H 1908 "Earthwork of England", 75
6 Mention - Burrow, E.J 1924 "Earthworks and Camps of Somerset", 78-79
7 Aerial photographs - Slide (SCC Planning Department) 3.006.0006-0008 July 1979
8 Mention - Pevsner, N 1958 "Buildings of England, S and W Somerset", 126
9 Map - Ordnance Survey 1977 1:10,000 ST03SW (SCC Planning Department)
10 Aerial photographs - Slide (SCC Planning Department) 3.006.0003-0005 March 1977

Record created in March 1984

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2014