Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page


Somerset Historic Environment Record

30560

Site Name: Remains of Chantry, abutting East side of Chantry Cottage, Sea Lane (West side), Kilve
Civil Parish: Kilve
LISTED BUILDING grade: II*
Grid Ref: ST 1463 4401 (ST 14 SW)
  Show site on map (Requires Flash)
   
Image: Image of HER 30560 - Photo by Somerset County Council (08 August 1983)
  HER 30560 - Photo by Somerset County Council (08 August 1983)

Public access:

The public accessibility of this site is unknown or has not been checked. Please ask locally and do not visit without permission. [Information last updated on 15 July 2003]

Details:

Remains of collegiate dwelling of chantry priests, now ruin. Early C14, later medieval addition, gutted by fire mid C19. Blue lias random rubble. Plan: gabled block lying North South abutting Priory and Chantry Cottage (qv) is solar wing to the latter hall, contemporary chapel wing, gabled in South East corner with larger later medieval gabled addition in North East corner. Large stepped angle buttresses to wings, North East wing with chamfered plinth and altered square headed window on East front and square headed opening in gable end. The building is otherwise completely obscured by ivy and undergrowth at time of survey (August 1983). The college of chantry priests was founded under license 1329 and disolved late C14. Scheduled Ancient Monument (Somerset County No 480) (There are many early C19 watercolours of the building before the fire in the Local History Library Taunton; photograph in NMR; VCH Somerset, Vol 5 forthcoming). {1} {1}

English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265168. First Listed on 16/11/1984. English Heritage Unified Designation System Asset Number: 1345688 {2}

References:

1 Statutory List - Thirty-second List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic interest: District of West Somerset. (Somerset) (16/11/1984) Location: HER collections.
2 Data transfer - Listed Buildings database, English Heritage. Record ID: 265168 (2005)

Record created in November 1983

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2014