Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page


Somerset Historic Environment Record

28706

Site Name: The Agapemone, Four Forks, Spaxton
Civil Parish: Spaxton
Comprises:
PRN 13667No 1; and attached former chapel to right, Barford Close (North side), Four Forks
Grid Ref: ST 2323 3692 (ST 23 NW)
  Show site on map (Requires Flash)
   

Public access:

The public accessibility of this site is unknown or has not been checked. Please ask locally and do not visit without permission. [Information last updated on 28 April 2009]

Details:

The Agapamone ('Abode of Love') was founded a former anglican curate Henry James Prince in 1845 and became one of the most notorious religious establishments of the C19. Prince believed that Christ's Second Coming was imminent and that he should found a community away from the corruptions of the world to await the event. Only the chapel was completed in 1845 and in November the following year the accommodation is described as incomplete. It is not clear how many of Prince's hundreds of followers were expected to be accommodated on the site and some remained in outlying houses. {1}

References:

1 Detailed records - Schwieso, JJ. The founding of the Agapemone at Spaxton. Somerset Archaeology and Natural History.  135 (1991), 113-121

Record created on 28 April 2009

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2014