Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page


Somerset Historic Environment Record

23883

Site Name: Priest's house, Farleigh Castle, Farleigh Hungerford
SCHEDULED MONUMENT: Farleigh Hungerford Castle [No:28840]
Civil Parish: Norton St. Philip
Part of:
PRN 23881Farleigh Hungerford Castle, Farleigh Hungerford
Grid Ref: ST 8012 5762 (ST 85 NW)
  Show site on map (Requires Flash)
   

Public access:

As far as we are aware all or part of this site is an English Heritage property open to the public at certain times. [Information last updated on 10 December 2002]

Details:

When Sir Walter Hungerford (d1449) enlarged the castle (PRN 23881) he endowed two chantries in the castle chapel (PRN 23882) and built a house for the chantry priests immediately to the E of the chapel. After the suppression it was used as a farmhouse. Stone built of roughly carved limestone rubble with ashlar dressings. Rectangular in plan, 39ft by 22ft and is of two floors. Had two rooms on the ground floor and four rooms above. Extended N in the late C17 with two new outbuildings. Repairs allowed renovation and excavation. Ground floor was divided into three parts, the central room being 16ft by 13ft. Seven cross trenches were excavated. Revealed pits, garden soil and six burials all of children placed in overlapping graves. {1}

Included in the Scheduling of the Castle. {4}

References:

1 Description - Medieval Archaeology Pantin, W 1959 "Chantry Priest's Houses..." vol 3, 234-7
2 Description - Medieval Archaeology Miles, T and Saunders, A 1975 "...House at Farleigh.." vol 19, 165-181
3 Verbal communication - Dennison, E Somerset County Council 20.08.85
4 Correspondence - English Heritage to Somerset County Council (15.7.1997) in HER files (PRN 23881)

Record created in August 1985

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2014