Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page


Somerset Historic Environment Record

23860

Site Name: Hillfort at Fox Covert, Milton Clevedon
SCHEDULED MONUMENT: Hillfort at Fox Covert, 550m north east of Lamyatt Lodge [No:29780]
Civil Parish: Lamyat, Milton Clevedon
Comprises:
PRN 23859Possible barrow, E of Lamyatt Lodge, Milton Clevedon
Grid Ref: ST 6665 3677 (ST 63 NE)
  Show site on map (Requires Flash)
   

Public access:

The public accessibility of this site is unknown but it should be visible from a public right of way. Please assume that the site is private property. (Permissive Path, expires 30/09/07). [Information last updated on 14 May 2003]

Details:

Early Iron age earthwork consisting of a single bank and outer ditch, absent over the part where the slope is very steep. Characteristically Iron age but has several features in it which suggests that it is probably a stock enclosure rather than a hillfort. Situated on the end of a steep sided spur and on the E, where there is a level approach, there is a weak bank and outer ditch. {1}

A univallate hillfort, much damaged by ploughing. On the E side the approach is level and there may be an entrance in the centre of this side, though the defences are obliterated here. On the rest of the circuit the defences run along or slightly below the edge of a steep sided plateau, consisting of a simple scarp but with a ditch and counterscarp on the NW. {2}

Where the approach is almost level on the E side the ditch is 1.8m deep and supported internally by a bank 0.3m high. On the E side about 15 heaps of rubble and stone have been dumped in the ditch. Damage has also occurred to the bank on either side of the gateway at the NE corner. A quarry pit at the SE corner occupies the old quarry and part of the ditch there. {3}

As noted previously a pit 100ft x 30ft x 6ft deep has been dug on the east side of the enclosure. A small pit has been dug to the N of this and filled with domestic rubbish. The ramparts survive well on the N and W sides but are not apparent on the E. {9}

Scheduling affirmed with new national number (was Somerset 451) on 24 Sept 1997. {10}

Permanent grass interior. E side banks overgrown with nettles, SE and SW are grassed with some trees. Trees have been planted on SE facing slope and a gate has been added in the fence at the N. {11}

References:

1 Detailed records - Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division record card. Record ID: ST 63 NE 2 (1966) Location: HER files
2 Description - Burrow, I. Hillfort and Hilltop Settlement in the First to Eighth Centuries AD.  (1981) British Archaeological Reports 91.
3 Site visit report - Algar, D [David]. English Heritage Field Monument Warden. (16/6/1983) Report location: HER files
4 Sketch plan - Watts, S. Creech Hill Camp, Milton Clevedon. Proceedings of the University of Bristol Spelaeological Society  8(1) (1957), 42-43 (page 42). Available online.
5 Aerial photographs - WAP BL 1558.10. (unknown date) Location: Unknown or non-existant
6 Aerial photographs - WAP BL 1558.11. (unknown date) Location: Unknown or non-existant
7 Aerial photographs - WAP BL 1559.1. (unknown date) Location: Unknown or non-existant
8 Aerial photographs - SCC Planning Department OAP ST6636-1-1 and 2 and 3
9 Site visit report - Fulbrook [Mr] Mendip District Council to Somerset County Council. (6/8/1985) with plan. Location: HER files
10 Correspondence - English Heritage to Somerset County Council. (16/10/1997) Location: HER files
11 Detailed records - Graham, A [Alan]. English Heritage Field Monument Warden. (16/9/1999) Report location: HER files

Record created in August 1985

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2014