Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page


Somerset Historic Environment Record

23716

Site Name: Deserted medieval village, Babington
Civil Parish: Kilmersdon
Comprises:
PRN 15431Evaluation (2002), Babington House, Kilmersdon
PRN 25786Evaluation (1997), Babington House
PRN 25787Watching brief (1998), Babington House, Kilmersdon
PRN 25788Evaluation (1998), Babington House Cricket Pavilion
PRN 27921Watching brief (2008), Babington House
Grid Ref: ST 703 510 (ST 75 SW)
  Show site on map (Requires Flash)
   

Public access:

The public accessibility of this site is unknown or has not been checked. Please ask locally and do not visit without permission. [Information last updated on 21 May 2003]

Details:

Babington was formerly a separate parish and has an isolated church. {1}

AP shows ridge and furrow to the NE of the house and also to the SW. Vague earthworks to the S, SW and W of the house. {2}

The manor was sold by Thomas and Mary Mankham to Joan Elcode, widow in a deed dated Easter 1572. The Manor then contained 7 messuages, one cottage, 10 tofts, 1 water mill, 10 gardens, 14 orchards, 300 acres of land, 120 acres of meadow, 160 acres of pasture, 20 acres of wood, 120 acres of furze and 4s annual rent and 1lb of pepper. {3}

The village is likely to have been destroyed when the Manor house was built in the late C17 and the park created (PRN 23717). {4}

Village had a fair held on the 2nd September, the feast of St Margaret, granted in 1285. {5}

Fields now cultivated and there are no signs of earthworks. {6}

Nothing shown on the tithe map. {7}

Evaluations (PRN 25786, 25788) and archaeological monitoring of service trenches (PRN 25787) showed limited evidence for the medieval settlement. Medieval pottery was recovered in the area around the house and several ditches were recorded which suggested that the focus of occupation was to the south of the house. {11}

References:

1 Verbal communication - Aston, M [Mick]. Somerset County Council (26/09/1977). Location: Verbal, electronic or direct entry, no source retained
2 Aerial photographs - HSL 71 179 Run 71E 8266. (06/09/1971) Location: Local Studies collection at Somerset Heritage Centre.
3 Mention - Bartelot, RG. Babington Manor deed, 1371. Somerset Archaeology and Natural History.  91 (1945), 110-11 [page 111]
4 Verbal communication - Dennison, E Somerset County Council 24.06.85
5 Mention - Hulbert, NF. A survey of the Somerset fairs. Somerset Archaeology and Natural History  82 (1936), 83-159
6 Verbal communication - Aston, M Somerset County Council 13.03.76
7 Map - Babington tithe map.  (1838) Available at Somerset Heritage Centre (digital image, fiche and originals). Reference: D/D/Rt/M/48
8 Detailed records - Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division 1978 ST75SW20 (SCC Planning Department)
9 Mention - Beresford, M and Hurst, J 1971 "Deserted Medieval villages", 202
10 Mention - MVRGAR 1975 23, 15
11 Verbal communication - Chris Webster (12/2/1999)

Record created in June 1985

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2014