Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page

Somerset Historic Environment Record


Site Name: Pomparles Bridge, Northover, Glastonbury
Civil Parish: Glastonbury
Grid Ref: ST 4866 3775 (ST 43 NE)
  Show site on map (Requires Flash)

Public access:

The public accessibility of this site is unknown or has not been checked. Please ask locally and do not visit without permission. [Information last updated on 21 May 2003]


The HER is currently being transferred to a new system. Please ask about this changed entry. {0}

The Pont Perlus where Arthur cast in his sword. Mentioned in the C13 and subsequently variously named Pons Peritis, Pons Periculosus and Pomperels. {1}

Leland says it had four arches while Phelps shows it in an illustration prior to its rebuilding as having only two arches, one pointed, probably C14-15, and the other round. {2}

During excavations for a new bridge in 1912, the remains of second round arch were found to the S. It was regarded as C12 work. {4}

Reinforced concrete arch bridge built in 1911 and designed by Edward Stead, Assistant County Surveyor. Copings, stringcourses and quoins are of ashlar masonry with the remainder of the masonry rock faced. The end of the concrete deck is exposed in elevation. The bridge is 25 feet in span and was extended in 1972. {5}


0 Compiler comment - Webster, CJ (Chris). Somerset Historic Environment Record (12/02/2016). Location: Verbal, electronic or direct entry, no source retained.
1 Mention - Dickinson, FH. Pomparles. Notes and Queries for Somerset and Dorset  1 (1890), 27
2 Mention - Smith, LT (ed). Leland's Itinerary in England and Wales.  Vol. 1 (1964)
3 Illustration - Phelps, W. History of Somersetshire.  (1839), 565.
4 Mention - Morland, J. Pomparles, Glastonbury. Somerset Archaeology and Natural History  58 (1912), 53-9. Copy available in Local Studies collection at Somerset Heritage Centre.
5 Detailed records - Greenfield, D. Somerset's Early Reinforced Concrete Bridges.  (1998) Unpublished typescript. Location: HER file 14360. HER digital source: 14834.

Record created in May 1985

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2016