Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page


Somerset Historic Environment Record

23575

Site Name: Hospital of St Mary, Chapel and Men's Almshouses, Magdalene Street, Glastonbury
SCHEDULED MONUMENT: Part of the Hospital of St Mary Magdalene, Magdalene Street [No:33051]
Civil Parish: Glastonbury
Grid Ref: ST 4985 3865 (ST 43 NE)
  Show site on map (Requires Flash)
   
Image: Image of HER 23575 - Photo by Somerset County Council (23 January 1975)
  HER 23575 - Photo by Somerset County Council (23 January 1975)

Public access:

The public accessibility of this site is unknown or has not been checked. Please ask locally and do not visit without permission. [Information last updated on 21 May 2003]

Details:

The hospital of St Mary consisted originally of a C13 hall, which served as the living and sleeping rooms of the inmates with a chapel at the E end Through the C14 alterations, with the hall being unroofed, and the cubicles that lined the outer walls have given place to two rows of small houses, which have encroached on the hall as to reduce it to a narrow passage Extensive repairs took place in the early C18. {1}

Not suppressed in the C16. {4}

The hospital is now disused. The S row of almshouses has been demolished and their foundations laid out as an ornamental garden. Although the chapel was formerly called St Mary's more recently it has been known as St Margaret's. {5}

A range of stone dwellings running E-W with five doorways the second and fourth now blocked, the others with doors, windows above the slate roof apparently in good repair. A passage way separates these five from a well cared for garden with lawn and flower beds on the S occupying the site of the now levelled opposing range. At the W end of the passage an archway gives access to a new housing complex for old people on the site of the hospital garden. The chapel at the E end is in excellent repair and in use, the gable at its W end has space for two bells, one of which is still in position. {7}

Repairs were carried out in 1995 and a full photographic record of the alterations made together with some documentary research. {8}

See PRN 25555 for drain discovered to the rear. {10}

Scheduling affirmed with new national number (was Somerset 235) on 28 January 2003. {11}

References:

1 Mention - Archaeological Journal.  61 (1904) [page 208]
2 Mention - Archaeological Journal.  87 (1930) [page 443]
3 Measured plan - Archaeological Journal.  87 (1930) [page 443]
4 Mention - Knowles, D and Hadcock, RN. Medieval Religious Houses of England and Wales.  (1971), 321 and 360.
5 Detailed records - Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division record card. Record ID: ST 43 NE 20 (1966) Location: HER files
6 Mention - Aston, M and Leech, R. Historic Towns in Somerset.  (1977), 61.
7 Detailed records - Algar, D [David]. English Heritage Field Monument Warden. (13/4/4984) Report location: HER files
8 Detailed records - Woods, H. The Hospital and Almshouses of St Mary Magdalen, Glastonbury.  (1995) unpublished report. Location: HER files
9 Description - Rawlings, J. Completion and Maintenance Notes for the Repairs carried out during the summer of 1995.  (1995) unpublished report. Location: HER files. HER digital source: 15654.
10 Compiler comment - Webster, CJ [Chris]. Somerset County Council, Historic Environment Record (November 1996). Location: verbal or direct entry to database, no other records.
11 Correspondence - English Heritage to Somerset County Council. (17/2/2003) Location: HER files

Record created in May 1985

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2014