Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page


Somerset Historic Environment Record

22380

Site Name: Midelney Manor, forecourt and garden walling with gate-piers, Midelney Road (North side), Midelney
Civil Parish: Drayton
LISTED BUILDING grade: I
Grid Ref: ST 4101 2288 (ST 42 SW)
  Show site on map (Requires Flash)
   
Image: Image of HER 22380 - Photo by Somerset County Council (08 July 1986)
  HER 22380 - Photo by Somerset County Council (08 July 1986)

Public access:

The public accessibility of this site is unknown or has not been checked. Please ask locally and do not visit without permission. [Information last updated on 08 February 2005]

Details:

Manor house in landscaped grounds. On a former island site, the property of Muchelney Abbey, passing to the Trevillian family after the Dissolution. Present house late C16 in 2 distinct halves by Richard and Thomas Trevillian, early C18 work particularly to the interior, further work of 1830. Coursed and squared lias with Hamstone dressings, coped verges, slate and plain-tiled roofs, some brick; tall ashlar stacks with moulded caps. Elizabethan, U-shaped frontage with 2 long front-facing wings, attached falconer's mews at rear. Two storeys, part with an attic, 1:2:2:1 bay frontage, 2, 3, and 4-light moulded stone-mullioned windows, restored iron casements to lights with square-paned leaded lights, stopped labels; 3 gabled attic dormers to left half of roof; outer face of each wing with blank 2 and 3- light windows. Two main entrances, one in each angle of the forecourt, ribbed doors; low forecourt wall, gateway with ashlar piers with ball caps. Brick falconer's mews attached at rear, rectangular on plan, now altered to a kitchen, blocked door opening with a semi-circular head in a moulded freestone surround, flanked by 2 oval windows, beneath a series of rectangular niches. Rear garden enclosed by a high brick wall with a freestone coping, entered through 2 principal gateways, ashlar piers with moulded caps and ball finials. Interior of the house with much important early C18 work including panelling to 2 rooms and a vestibule on the ground floor, the latter with a shell-headed niche; first floor reached by dog leg staircase in right wing, turned balusters, richly moulded hand-rail; further panelling to 3 rooms on first floor; some features remain from the late C16 including kitchen fireplace in left wing, some ceiling beams and lias flooring. (Country Life, November 24, 1934). {1}

English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264359. First Listed on 17/04/1959. English Heritage Unified Designation System Asset Number: 1056918 {2}

Midelney Manor - although no part of the present house appears to be earlier than the 16th century fragments of a medieval building were found during restorations in 1925-6. Tradition states that an earlier building, which perished by fire, occupied the same site, and the Ham stone fragments and medieval window-tracery found built into the walls of the barn and forecourt, all bear marks of fire. The barn is attributed to the 15th century. In early middle ages Midelney is said to have been used by the Abbots of Muchelney as a summer residence when it possessed a deerpark. This park was ploughed up when the house was let as a farm in 1781. This house has been too much restored to be architecturally outstanding. See ground photograph AO/66/202/7. {4}

References:

1 Statutory List - Ninety-eighth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic interest: District of South Somerset (Somerset) (20/9/1988) Location: HER collections.
2 Data transfer - Listed Buildings database, English Heritage. Record ID: 264359 (2005)
3 Description - Anon. Midelney Manor. Country Life  (24/11/1934), 348-53 Copy available in SANHS library at Somerset Heritage Centre.
4 Detailed records - Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division record card. Record ID: ST 42 SW 3 (1966) Location: HER files.

Record created in July 1986

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2014