Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page


Somerset Historic Environment Record

21830

Site Name: Searchlight site (Elworthy Barrows), S of Old Holcombe Water Farm, Brompton Ralph
Civil Parish: Brompton Ralph
Grid Ref: ST 057 337 (ST 03 SE)
  Show site on map (Requires Flash)
   

Public access:

The public accessibility of this site is unknown or has not been checked. Please ask locally and do not visit without permission. [Information last updated on 16 May 2008]

Details:

In late 1941 the Elworthy Barrows 'cluster' searchlight (SL) site (PRN 21829) closed due to a policy of dispersal into single light sites formed into 'fighter boxes' and a new single SL site called Elworthy Barrows was opened at ST 0567 3379. It was listed in 1943 as one of 27 SL sites manned by 493 SL Bty of 76 SL Regt RA. The site was in the Colerne Sector of 10 Fighter Group RAF and numbered CL B 14. The Bty HQ for 493 Bty was at Crowcombe Court (PRN 30494). Later in 1943, the site is listed within the Exeter Sector of 10 Fighter Group RAF as EX H7 and was one of the SL sites manned by 310 SL Bty of 74 SL Regt RA. The Bty HQ for 310 SL Bty was at Edgecott House in Exford (SS 8480 3873). {1}

References:

1 Correspondence - Hunt, D (David),, email to Somerset County Council Historic Environment Record (16/5/2008). Location: Verbal, electronic or direct entry, no source retained

Record created on 16 May 2008

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2014