Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page


Somerset Historic Environment Record

21719

Site Name: Church of St. Mary (previously listed as Hemington Church), Hemington Village
Civil Parish: Hemington
Part of:
PRN 23649Church of St Mary and churchyard, Hemington
LISTED BUILDING grade: I
Grid Ref: ST 7273 5302 (ST 75 SW)
  Show site on map (Requires Flash)
   
Image: Image of HER 21719 - Photo by Somerset County Council
  HER 21719 - Photo by Somerset County Council

Public access:

The public accessibility of this site is unknown or has not been checked. Please ask locally and do not visit without permission. [Information last updated on 26 August 2004]

Details:

Anglican Parish Church. C12, C13, C15, some C19 restoration probably by the office of Sir George Gilbert Scott. Coursed and squared rubble and some ashlar, embattled parapets, stone tile and lead sheeting roofs. Clerestoried nave, south aisle, south porch, chancel with south chapel, north vestry, west tower. Predominantly Perpendicular though some earlier features remain. Fine 3-stage tower with diagonal buttresses, embattled parapet, corner pinnacles, stair turret, single bell-chamber windows to top stage with stone grilles, tall double windows with blind tracery on the stage below; 3-light west window, west door. Four bay nave, 2-light windows, that to north-west corner of the 1340's, the remainder Perpendicular. Six bay aisle-cum-chapel, 2-light windows, added C13 though fenestration C15. Porch 1869 in an Early English style; Early English inner doorway with Purbeck shafts, C15 door. Chancel with 3-light east window. Plastered interior on flagstone floors. Nave with C19 roof on large C15 corbels carved as angels; C15 aisle roof with ribs and bosses on small allegorical corbels. Springers for vault under tower, C19 ceiling with ribs and bosses; C19 wagon roof to chancel. Norman chancel arch with 2 pairs of shafts; Early English 4 bay arcade to south aisle, of similar date 2 bay arcade between chancel and south chapel, the centre pier with detached Purbeck shafts, piscina on east respond. Aisle and chapel windows with shafted rere-arches. Upper and lower entrances to rood. Aumbry. Norman tub font; C16 chest; C17 pews; pair of coffin stools; C19 pulpit, choir stalls, chair and altar rails. Organ dated 1869 by Vowles of Bristol. Some monuments to floor; C17 wall monument; 3 C18 wall monuments, C19 and C20 monuments. Charity plaque under the tower. Five early bells. Chancel window with simple C19 stained glass. Chapel window dated 1937 by A. K. Nicholson of London. Jacobean cover to font. Late C16 painted text on nave wall. (Church Guide, 1984).. {1}

English Heritage Listed Building Number: 267882. First Listed on 11/03/1968. English Heritage Unified Designation System Asset Number: 1058711 {2}

References:

1 Statutory List - Thirty-ninth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic interest: District of Mendip (Somerset) (25/6/1986) Location: HER collections.
2 Data transfer - Listed Buildings database, English Heritage. Record ID: 267882 (2005)

Record created in 0000

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2014