Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page


Somerset Historic Environment Record

15706

Site Name: Somerton Castle (site of), Somerton
Civil Parish: Somerton
Comprises:
PRN 22526Watching brief (2006), former Magistrates Court, West Street, Somerton
Grid Ref: ST 4907 2844 (ST 42 NE)
  Show site on map (Requires Flash)
   

Public access:

The public accessibility of this site is unknown or has not been checked. Please ask locally and do not visit without permission. [Information last updated on 21 May 2003]

Details:

Somerton Castle has now disappeared. Late in the 16th century a portion of the surrounding walls was standing together with a round bastion tower. The materials were used to construct a goal on its site somewhere in close proximity to the present White Hart Inn {1}

Externally there are no remains of the castle walls in either the White Hart Inn or the adjoining buildings. {2}

"There is a tradition that its [the castles] dungeons once imprisoned French Royalty and remain under the Market Square" {3}

References:

1 Description - Barnett, CRB. Somersetshire Highways, Byways and Waterways..  (1894), 20.
2 Detailed records - Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division record card. Record ID: ST 42 NE 22 (1966) Location: HER files.
3 Guide book - Hayter, THO. The Parish Church of St Michael and All Angels, Somerton.  (1956)

Record created on 17 September 2002

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2014