Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page


Somerset Historic Environment Record

15363

Site Name: Mental Hospital, Sandhill Park
Civil Parish: Bishop's Lydeard
Part of:
PRN 43372Sandhill Park, Ash Priors
Grid Ref: ST 1555 2983 (ST 12 NE)
  Show site on map (Requires Flash)
   

Public access:

The public accessibility of this site is unknown or has not been checked. Please ask locally and do not visit without permission. [Information last updated on 21 May 2003]

Details:

Following the sale of Sandhill Park (PRN 43372) in 1913 and its use as a prisoner of war camp (PRN 15362) it was bought by Somerset County Council in 1929 as a hospital. Additional buildings were constructed over the next two years and continued in use until taken over during WW2 (PRN 15361). The hospital reopened under the National Health Service in 1948 and further buildings were constructed. The hospital was sold in 1991 and housing built on part of the area. {1}

The Public Record Office contains a file recording the purchase of the land. {2}

References:

1 Description - Hinton, DJ An illustrated social history of Bishop's Lydeard and Cothelstone (1999), 44-46.
2 Historical reference - Mental Deficiency, Sandhill Park Colony: purchase.  (1921-9) Available at The National Archives Reference: MH 52/119

Record created on 28 February 2002

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2014