Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page


Somerset Historic Environment Record

11128

Site Name: Plainsfield Camp, Park Plantation, Over Stowey
SCHEDULED MONUMENT: Plainsfield Camp slight univallate hillfort [No:24004]
Civil Parish: Over Stowey
Comprises:
PRN 27189Watching brief (1982), Plainsfield Camp
Grid Ref: ST 1843 3621 (ST 13 NE)
  Show site on map (Requires Flash)
   
Image: Image of HER 11128 - Photo by Somerset County Council (11 March 1982)
  HER 11128 - Photo by Somerset County Council (11 March 1982)

Public access:

The public accessibility of this site is unknown but it should be visible from a public right of way. Please assume that the site is private property. (Owned by the Forestry Commission). [Information last updated on 17 December 2002]

Details:

A small camp, rhomboidal in shape, 180 by 150 yards. Of simple bank and ditch construction with an out-turned entrance in the centre of the E side It is moderate strength and its siting, on a gentle NE facing slope, has no defensive value. Probably Iron age but is not a hillfort. {1}

The interior is without features and is tree covered, but there are a number of field banks about 0.3m high in the surrounding area. The defences are univallate, with a ditch surviving on all sides except on the N where its position is occupied by a modern track. There is a small out-turned entrance on the E side. {2}

Some damage by forestry operations in 1975. {3}

Bank about 10ft high with mature trees growing on the rampart on the SW - beech, horse chestnut, holly etc. Three dugouts or weapon pits of WW2 cut into the bank on the E side. Old excavation pit on the SW corner 1m by 2m and 0.75m deep. S bank is nearly 2.5m high from the interior and the ditch is of similar depth. Completely covered with young fir trees planted within the last two years. {4}

Classed as a slight univallate hillfort. Rectilinear with rounded corners, enclosing c.1ha. Earthworks most pronounced across upper side, where the bank is up to 1.5m and the ditch 1m deep, and least pronounced on the NW side (0.4m high) where natural slope is utilised to give a steep face 2m high. Shallow quarry ditches and scoops inside the ramparts in places. Entrance as described. Gap over N tip is probably not original. On NW and NE forestry tracks have damaged the ditch, though a stretch survives north of the entrance with a counterscarp 0.7m high. Interior uneven, but broad shallow scarps visible which are probably natural. Short linear ditched mound near centre may be a pillow mound. Area of field banks noted outside is now under forestry and not investigated Called Cockercombe Castle locally. {7}

Scheduled area revised with new national number 12.04.94 (was Somerset 334). {8}

Shown on an estate map of 1610, the area was enclosed in the mid C17 and may have been emparked following this, as in 1838 it is referred to as Plainsfield Park. The site was re-assessed and resurveyed as a student project. {9}

The earthwork remains of Plainsfield Camp, also known as Cockercombe Camp, lie on a north-east facing spur of land, at about 235m above OD. The enclosure sits within Park Plantation, an area of Forestry Commission managed woodland which forms part of the Quantock Forest. The enclosure is sub-rectangular in shape, enclosing an area of about 1.2 hectares, and comprises a rampart and external ditch, the latter now intermittent, with a maximum over all width of 14m. The rampart is comprised of stone and earth, 7-10m in width, and stands to a maximum of 3m on the down slope side. The ditch is most prominent along the south-western side where it survives to a depth of 1.2m and is 2m in width. There are 3 breaches in the circuit, 2 on the north-eastern side and one in the southern corner, the latter of which can be seen to clearly cut the rampart. The break in the northern corner would appear to be contemporary and is possibly the original entrance. The breach at the centre of the south-eastern side has previously been recorded as the original entrance but close examination would suggest that it is possibly later in date. The interior has recently been cleared of trees and several features including a pillow mound (PRN 26766), 2 small pits and several slit trentches dating from ther Second World War were recorded.

The site was recorded as part of the English Heritage survey of the Quantock Hills AONB. The earthworks were recorded at 1:500 scale and located to the national grid using GPS equipment. {10}

References:

1 Detailed records - Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division record card. Record ID: ST 13 NE 17 (1965) Location: HER files
2 Detailed records - Burrow, I. Hillfort and Hilltop Settlement in the First to Eighth Centuries AD.  (1981), 243-4. British Archaeological Reports 91.
3 Correspondence - Silvester, RJ University of Exeter to Somerset County Council. (2/11/1975) Location: HER files
4 Detailed records - Field Monument Wardens report (SCC Planning Department)
5 Mention - Page, W. Victoria History of the County of Somerset.  Vol. 2 (1911), 511.
6 Mention - Dobson, DP. The Archaeology of Somerset.  (1931), 205.
7 Detailed records - Preece, A. Plainsfield Camp slight univallate hillfort.  (1993) unpublished Monuments Protection Programme fieldwork report for English Heritage. Location: HER files. HER digital source: 20644.
8 Correspondence - English Heritage to Somerset County Council. (18/4/1994) Location: HER files
9 Detailed records - Norman, C. Plainsfield Camp: A Report and Enhancement for the Somerset SMR.  (2001) MA coursework, University of Bristol. Location: HER files
10 Data transfer - National Monuments Record (English Heritage). Record ID: ST 13 NE 17 (2002)
11 Aerial photographs - NMR ST 1836/2-4 (15878/06-08). (07/02/1998) Location: National Monuments Record, Swindon
12 Aerial photographs - NMR ST 1836/5-10 ( 15859/15-20). (07/02/1998) Location: National Monuments Record, Swindon

Record created in November 1985

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2014