Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page


Somerset Historic Environment Record

10544

Site Name: Church of St Christopher and churchyard, Lympsham
Civil Parish: Lympsham
Comprises:
PRN 13278Church of St Christopher, Church Road (East side), Lympsham
PRN 13279Monument and railed enclosure to Eli Cook in the churchyard, one metre South of South chapel, Church of St Christopher, Church Road (East side), Lympsham
PRN 13280Unknown monument in the churchyard, 26 metres South of chancel, Church of St Christopher, Church Road (East side), Lympsham
PRN 13281Unknown monument in churchyard, 8 metres North of chancel, Church of St Christopher, Church Road (East side), Lympsham
PRN 13282Unknown monument in churchyard, 6 metres North of nave, Church of St Christopher, Church Street (East side), Lympsham
PRN 15440Watching brief (2001), Lympsham Church
PRN 29840Resistivity survey (2009), Lympsham churchyard
Grid Ref: ST 335 542 (ST 35 SW)
  Show site on map (Requires Flash)
   

Public access:

As far as we are aware this site is open to the public at certain times. [Information last updated on 10 December 2002]

Details:

Perpendicular church restored in the 1820s to 1840s. {1}

In normal use. {2}

Graveyard in use since at least medieval times. {3}

The parish was given by the Saxon King Ine to the Abbot of Glastonbury in 690 AD and remained part of the Abbey estates until its destruction in 1539. The earliest reference to a Rector was made on 24 September 1274 when Edward 1 appointed Bartholomew de England, Rector of Lympsham. Extensive restoration was carried out in three main phases between 1820 and 1909. {4}

A wall mounted white marble tablet on a black stone backboard commemorates the fallen of the parish in both World Wars. The tablet is pitched at the top and has a shelf on brackets below. On either side of the tablet are depicted soldiers with rifles, standing at ease. {5}

References:

1 Mention - Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset.  (1958), 226-7. Copy held in HER collections.
2 Detailed records - Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division record card. Record ID: ST 35 SW 6 (1965) Location: HER files.
3 Verbal communication - Aston, M [Mick]. Somerset County Council (15/11/1976). Location: Verbal, electronic or direct entry, no source retained
4 Guide book - Anon. St Christopher's Church, Lympsham.  (1995) Copy held in Somerset Studies at Somerset Heritage Centre.
5 Data transfer - National Inventory of War Memorials. Record ID: 24744

Record created in February 1983

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2014