Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page


Somerset Historic Environment Record

34184

Site Name: Church of St Peter and churchyard, Williton
Civil Parish: Williton
Comprises:
PRN 15097Watching brief (2001), St Peter's church, Williton
Grid Ref: ST 0755 4075 (ST 04 SE)
  Show site on map (Requires Flash)
   

Public access:

As far as we are aware this site is open to the public at certain times. [Information last updated on 10 December 2002]

Details:

Mostly the work of Giles who restored and enlarged the church in 1858. {1}

Is a listed building see PRN 30969. Graveyard in use since at least medieval times. {4}

An elaborate wooden board with a curved decorative carved top culminating in a pinnacle and cross commemorates 23 of the parish who died in WWI and 13 who died in WWII. The board is flanked by two pillars surmounted by decorated capitals. A brass plaque on an oak backboard commemorates Henry Eno who was killed in 1917 during WWI. The plaque was erected by his parents. A badge of the Somerset Light Infantry breaks the top line of the inscription. {5}

References:

1 Mention - Pevsner, N 1958 "Buildings of England, S and W Somerset", 345
2 Description - Armstrong, H 1982 "The Parish of St Peter Williton"
3 Mention - Allen, N 1974 "Churches and Chapels of Exmoor", 87
4 Verbal communication - Aston, M Somerset County Council 24.11.76
5 Data transfer - National Inventory of War Memorials. Record ID: 24720, 24721

Record created in May 1984

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2014