Please Wait - Compiling Details.

<< Back to Query / Map page


Somerset Historic Environment Record

33891

Site Name: St Mary's Chapel, NE of Chapel Cleeve, Old Cleeve
Civil Parish: Old Cleeve
Grid Ref: ST 0414 4364 (ST 04 SW)
  Show site on map (Requires Flash)
   

Public access:

As far as we are aware this site is no longer visible. Please assume that this site is private property and do not visit without permission. (Beware of natural hazards). [Information last updated on 23 December 2002]

Details:

Chapel of St Mary-by-the-Sea. The documents imply a succession of three chapels here, overwhelmed by the sea and cliff falls. The first was mentioned in 1320 when it was situated on the shore near Blue Anchor. It was later built either on the cliff or further inland. A document of 1466 relates its rebuilding within the manor. {1}

"Near the remains of St Mary's chapel on a rock near Chapel Cleeve, once stood a hospital or inn for the benefit of pilgrims". {2}

The site now lies in an overgrown area of collapsed cliff and there is no sign of the ruined building. {3}

"St Mary's chapel (site of)" printed on OSAD 6" map but nothing shown on OS 1:10,000 map. {4}

References:

1 Mention - Weaver, FW. Cleeve Abbey. Somerset Archaeology and Natural History  52 (1906), 1-41 (page 9-13)
2 Mention - Collinson, J 1791 "History of Somerset" vol 3, 510
3 Detailed records - Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division 1965 ST04SW20 (SCC Planning Department)
4 Map - Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division 1962 6" ST04SW (SCC Planning Department)
5 Map - Ordnance Survey 1:10,000 map Sheet: ST04SW (1976)
6 Detailed records - Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division ST 04 SW 20 (08/01/1986)

Record created in April 1984

© Copyright Somerset County Council 2014